To develop a methodology of integrated design and ‘live demo battery pack’ prototype, to demonstrate the battery pack capacity to meet the needs and requirement of the automotive sector, both in terms of product and renewable assembling process.
To build a scientific and technological hub in Emilia-Romagna, with the expertise to produce battery pack for automotive applications.
To satisfy the increasing demand from different industries for advanced accumulation systems.
The LiBER project will achieve several technical objectives related to the battery pack:
- high reliability and safety, remote monitoring and predictive maintenance (‘car as a service’),
- product replacement and re-use (‘second life’), automatic assembling and fast prototyping.
LiBER will support the connection between the scientific and industrial environments: the characteristics of the technologic research and development have been identified based on the products needs and on total integration with the manufacturing process and in view of Industry 4.0.
- Integration solution for the base modules;
- Realization of two battery packs, using the base module, to be assembled into different configurations (square and flat section);
- Data transmission system from the battery pack, for the diagnostics of single items or the transport fleet;
- Design of the assembling system and battery-pack prototyping;
- Definition and application of a certification system for base modules and the battery pack.
The results will be also delivered through specific communication activities, in order to ensure the most effective benefits on the related regional industries and on the emerging sectors using this technology.
Application of the innovative solutions offered by the battery pack and the automatic assembling process with vehicle and frame – currently missing in the regional manufacturing sector – both to hybrid and electric cars/motorbikes and electric work vehicles in the development phase or already being produced Emilia-Romagna
Generation of new business with the ‘second life’ of the battery pack, based on a design that considers the re-use of the battery in the perspective of circular economy.
As a future spin-off, the battery pack application will be extended to emerging sectors such as industry, agriculture and civil construction. These sectors may benefit from the same production process. The product may have simplified characteristics and lower production costs.
Coherence with the regional smart specialization strategy
The Smart Specialization Strategy (S3) is a tool used in the European Union to improve the efficacy of the public politics for research and innovation.
Thanks to the S3 the Emilia-Romagna region has designed a strategic action frame, with the purpose to enhance competitiveness and increase the regional occupation.
The LiBER project is developed in the frame of the strategic objective Mechatronics and Motoristics – OS6 ‘Electrification of propulsion systems for the efficiency and environmental sustainability of vehicles‘.
The results and the solutions achieved with the LiBER project will offer a relevant contribution for the growth of regional businesses, providing for new realities in the production of advanced battery packs for the automotive industries.
LiBER may potentially also comply with the strategic objectives of some ClustER1, associations which enable a stronger approach to the regional S3 strategy, thanks to the creation of communities of different subjects (research centres, companies, education centres) oriented to sharing ideas, skills, tools and resources.
- ClustER Meccatronica e Motoristica: elettrificazione delle macchine operatrici (OS13) e per applicazioni su droni (OS9) o su satelliti (OS10);
- ClustER Energia e sviluppo sostenibile: integrazione con smart grid (OS2);
- ClustER Agroalimentare: implementazione di sistemi di coltivazione decarbonizzati (OS1-OS3).
Questi obiettivi restano definiti come secondari e non interverranno a modificare le linee di sviluppo principale del progetto, che mira a soddisfare requisiti per l’automotive. L’applicabilità del progetto a questi ambiti sarà comunque promossa dall’attività di diffusione di LiBER, per sostenere possibili spin-off del progetto.
1: For further information: https://www.retealtatecnologia.it/en/clust-er